Is a municipality in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais. It is located at 21°06′37″S 44°12′41″W, has an area of 83.5 km², and a maximum height of 927 m. Tiradentes had an estimated population of 6,364, as of 2004. The original village was established in 1702 and became a city on 19 January 1718. It was named after “Tiradentes”, a national hero, who was born there. The former name of the city was São José del Rey and it was changed as soon as Brazil adopted the Republic instead of the Monarchy.
It has been acclaimed as an unspoiled example of colonial architecture.